Skip to main content

Translation into English

I love products that have English translations; they always crack me up. For example, we always buy this certain type of cereal. In English it says "Crunchy muesli - A harmonised mixture of carefully chosen ingredients makes this muesli special. With its unique experience of enjoyment our muesli provides us with everything we need to have a good start to the day."Apart from that ridiculous description, two other things dawned on me: First, one side has the old food pyramid:
Second, there are step-by-step photo directions for how to eat cereal.
I think this cereal is giving Pop Tarts a run for its money!  Do corporations think we're that dumb? Send answers to Janna Ross. Here's how:
1. Write answer on a piece of paper, using a pen, pencil, or crayon.
2. Fold piece of paper.
3. Insert paper into envelope.
4. Seal envelope.
4. Address envelope.
    Meisha Deane
    Attn. Janna Ross
    Ivana Kudri 37A Apt. 52
    Kiev 01042
    Ukraine
5. Go to post office.
6. Buy stamp.
7. Place stamp on envelope.
8. Drop envelope into nearest mail box.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Ukrainians act during missile strikes

     I have been in Ukraine during many air raid alerts and have been close enough to hear and feel a number of explosions (primarily Russian missile being shot out of the sky), but, strangely, I haven’t actually been around Ukrainians throughout the duration of an air raid until this past week.   I had gone to a small warehouse store where I buy nails for my framing gun.  In the middle of placing my order, everyone’s phones started dinging.  Kyiv was under an air raid alert.  The young man who was helping me just kept working on his computer, but his colleague immediately stood up, looking at her phone and started wondering out loud if we should go to a shelter or if we should stay put.  Within a few seconds another worker came in from outside, and a lady came down the stairs.  They were all on their phones.   “Ballistic missiles.”   said the man “… heading towards the Kyiv area.”  Said the woman who had just come d...

The power of a hug

Three weeks ago at church, Masha sat next to me.   Masha is ten, has Downs Syndrome and is a fantastic hugger.  She just loves hugging.  So I try to always stop and hug her back.  During the service, she came in and sat between me and her dad, for a while she loved on her dad and then she leaned her head on my shoulder, so I leaned my head over onto hers, and she looked up at me with this big smile.  She reached around and gave me a shoulder hug, and then patted my head, and then rubbed my back for a few minutes.  I didn’t move the entire time because it just felt so good.  It was just simple, innocent affection, and it sent tingles up my spine.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about you need more hugs and back scratches. Human contact is so important.  That’s why I try and hug the kids when we go up to the orphanage.  These are just a few stories of some of the hugs I’ve given and gotten this past month, and why hugs are so imp...

The Costs of Dehumanization

  Our friends, Marina and Ira, have family in Russia.   Not long after the start of Russia’s full-scale invasion, they spoke with those family members.   Those in Russia expressed their disgust that people in Ukraine were eating children.   Marina and Ira’s reaction was naturally surprise and horror.   In the early days of the war, back in 2014, state-controlled Russian news agencies had started to run a story about a young boy that had been crucified in Ukraine’s eastern territories.  The narrative was that this was what Ukrainians were doing to Russian speakers.  It didn’t take long for the story to be debunked.  But this was primarily outside of Russia, most people within Russia kept hearing this story, and stories like it. Over the years, the stories grew to the point where Russian citizens were hearing that Ukrainians were regularly eating babies.   This is why Marina and Ira were having this conversation.  They told their r...