Skip to main content

A Cultural Difference of Opinion

   I (Daniel) was sick in bed yesterday with a 24-hour flu.  A few of the Stoddards had gotten it and now it was my turn.  That evening, Tatiana, our hostess, came home and checked up on me.  I'm pretty sure that after the kidney stone and now a stomach virus, her motherly instincts kicked in and she decided that it was time to straighten this foolish American out. 
   Armed with the Russian/English dictionary she told me I needed to go on a diet.  Lots of tea, rice, Kasha (I'm not sure what that is yet, but it looks gross and smells like dirt), and absolutely, under no circumstances am I to drink any more cold milk.  "Ochen Ploha"(Very Bad), she said, referring to the milk, as she held her fingers up in a cross to ward off the evils of such a dangerous drink.  "You must drink your milk warm, and you will feel much better." 
   Janna and I looked at each other and tried not to laugh, which was a major challenge.  I know she was trying to help us, but I'm pretty sure that cold milk was not the source of my problems.  The stress of living in a foreign country, learning a new language, and city, trying to finish a ton of work tomorrow, living in someone else’s apartment, and never getting enough sleep were probably the major contributors to my weak immune system. 
   Or maybe it was cold milk, I suppose truthfully only God knows.
   This wasn't the first time that we've run into these kinds of cultural superstitions.  Last week our entire American team had dinner in Meisha's apartment.  Petro, and young man Doug is mentoring, joined us.  Being Americans we all opted to have ice in our drinks, including Benjamin, who was having milk.   We offered some ice to Petro, and he refused politely.  A few other people kept offering, and finally Petro snapped back, "I don't want to have a sore throat!"  Ukrainians in general are convinced that ice water makes you have a sore throat.   Even on a really hot day.  Petro also said that he can’t sleep with the windows open at night because he’s afraid of getting a chill. 
    Ukrainians also believe that sitting on concrete in shorts will make you infertile.  Last fall Janna saw a young man chased off the concrete by a Babushka (grandma) seconds after he plopped down for a rest.  Janna had heard that this happened, but was amazed to see it happen herself, and so quickly. 
   When we first arrived in Ukraine, Alfred (a Ukrainian) picked us up from the airport.  He didn't have air-conditioning, so I rolled down my window to cool off, it was pretty hot.  In the 20 minute ride to where we were staying he tried to roll my window up 8 times because he was worried about Janna and Dad getting a chill in the backseat.  This was in spite of their repeated insistence that they liked the cool air. 
   This happens on the public busses too.  When it’s hotter than 85, and the bus is packed, people are allowed to open the windows.  But if the temperature dips into the 70’s, those windows have to close.  If you get a chill, you will die.  At least I think that’s how the logic goes.   Even our teacher encouraged one of our classmates to move away from the air-conditioner after she cleared her throat twice. 
    To say that Ukrainians dislike being cold is an understatement.  They are afraid of it, and fight it with the ruthless tenacity of a mother bear protecting her cubs.  Last fall we walked into the new girl’s dormitory at the orphanage in Komrivka, and I had trouble breathing.  It felt like it was 80 degrees in there, and there was zero circulation.  And this is when it was only about 60 outside.  My first thought was, “I wonder if people have heat strokes in their homes in this country.”
    It makes me wonder what they would think about how Americans do things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Ukrainians act during missile strikes

     I have been in Ukraine during many air raid alerts and have been close enough to hear and feel a number of explosions (primarily Russian missile being shot out of the sky), but, strangely, I haven’t actually been around Ukrainians throughout the duration of an air raid until this past week.   I had gone to a small warehouse store where I buy nails for my framing gun.  In the middle of placing my order, everyone’s phones started dinging.  Kyiv was under an air raid alert.  The young man who was helping me just kept working on his computer, but his colleague immediately stood up, looking at her phone and started wondering out loud if we should go to a shelter or if we should stay put.  Within a few seconds another worker came in from outside, and a lady came down the stairs.  They were all on their phones.   “Ballistic missiles.”   said the man “… heading towards the Kyiv area.”  Said the woman who had just come d...

The power of a hug

Three weeks ago at church, Masha sat next to me.   Masha is ten, has Downs Syndrome and is a fantastic hugger.  She just loves hugging.  So I try to always stop and hug her back.  During the service, she came in and sat between me and her dad, for a while she loved on her dad and then she leaned her head on my shoulder, so I leaned my head over onto hers, and she looked up at me with this big smile.  She reached around and gave me a shoulder hug, and then patted my head, and then rubbed my back for a few minutes.  I didn’t move the entire time because it just felt so good.  It was just simple, innocent affection, and it sent tingles up my spine.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about you need more hugs and back scratches. Human contact is so important.  That’s why I try and hug the kids when we go up to the orphanage.  These are just a few stories of some of the hugs I’ve given and gotten this past month, and why hugs are so imp...

The Costs of Dehumanization

  Our friends, Marina and Ira, have family in Russia.   Not long after the start of Russia’s full-scale invasion, they spoke with those family members.   Those in Russia expressed their disgust that people in Ukraine were eating children.   Marina and Ira’s reaction was naturally surprise and horror.   In the early days of the war, back in 2014, state-controlled Russian news agencies had started to run a story about a young boy that had been crucified in Ukraine’s eastern territories.  The narrative was that this was what Ukrainians were doing to Russian speakers.  It didn’t take long for the story to be debunked.  But this was primarily outside of Russia, most people within Russia kept hearing this story, and stories like it. Over the years, the stories grew to the point where Russian citizens were hearing that Ukrainians were regularly eating babies.   This is why Marina and Ira were having this conversation.  They told their r...