Skip to main content

Ukraine - a country of volunteers

  When I was in Ukraine last month, Bogdon noticed that one of my light were out.  He took my car down the road to a friend of his who had a shop, they replaced the light and looked over the car and noticed another problem. They didn’t end up doing a lot of work to the car, but when I asked how much I owed for the work, Bogdon said that his friend did the work for free and we just needed to pay for parts.  “All his work is free right now, he just wants to help volunteers.”   I protested, especially after this.  I have the ability to pay and this guy is exactly the kind of person that I want to be supporting with my money.  He politely, but firmly refused.  

This is how it is in Ukriane now.  Everyone at Safe Haven helps out in lots of little ways.  But it’s not just the people we know, it is most of the country. 

Bogdon’s friends at the front will come to the house to resupply on some of the many things that we’ve been able to stock them up on (high protein snacks, socks and medical supplies, etc.) and at least once a month, someone will leave their vehicle with Bogdon, and he will spend the month finding the parts and the mechanics to fix the car before he and a friend will get it back to the unit.  

This most recent trip into Ukraine, I took a guy in who was out of the country visiting his family who fled to the Czech Republic.  He has three young children, so he could have evacuated with them.  But instead he quit his job and has been tirelessly helping in Ukriane.  I got so many stories from him, that I’ve already written  a few pages, and some of that is just notes.  One of the things that struck me though, was how many times he was just about to lay down and get some much needed sleep and then he would get a call or a knock on the door, with some one letting know of some people who needed a ride or help with something, each time he would hesitate, but he would still help.  He saw that this was a critical moment where the willing have to ready to help where they can.  This was how Ukraine was going to stand.  This is how people like him could bring hope and motivation to those who were lacking it.  

To be sure, there are people trying to go on with their normal lives who can’t be bothered with to help their neighbors and are unmoved by the fact that Russian forces are causing devastation to everyone around them. The people I’ve talked to are baffled by these people, they don’t understand how they aren’t motivated to unite and stand together.  But by far, the majority of people want to do their part.  I’m super excited to see and hear that the church is doing its part.  Yesterday, I was listening to the Ukrainecast from BBC and they interviewed a priest who has been tirelessly helping the people of his city and beyond, and his example keeps inspiring more people to join the work.  Those stories always bring tears of joy to my eyes.  

Some of the Safe Haven graduates are trying to enlist in the military, but there are others who are terrified that they will be called up if there is a draft.  None of these guys wants to shirk responsibility, they just don’t think they have what it takes to be a soldier.  They still want to do their part to support Ukraine’s defense efforts.  And they are.  The awesome thing is that yesterday we heard an announcement that there won’t be a draft because there are still so many volunteers for military service.   I believe it: the last two times I have been in the country, I have driven past a recruitment office and there was a line of mostly young men outside waiting to volunteer to serve by their fellow country men.  

Ukraine Will Stand because they are choosing to stand together. And I am honored that I get to watch it.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The power of a hug

Three weeks ago at church, Masha sat next to me.   Masha is ten, has Downs Syndrome and is a fantastic hugger.  She just loves hugging.  So I try to always stop and hug her back.  During the service, she came in and sat between me and her dad, for a while she loved on her dad and then she leaned her head on my shoulder, so I leaned my head over onto hers, and she looked up at me with this big smile.  She reached around and gave me a shoulder hug, and then patted my head, and then rubbed my back for a few minutes.  I didn’t move the entire time because it just felt so good.  It was just simple, innocent affection, and it sent tingles up my spine.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about you need more hugs and back scratches. Human contact is so important.  That’s why I try and hug the kids when we go up to the orphanage.  These are just a few stories of some of the hugs I’ve given and gotten this past month, and why hugs are so important in our ministry. My friend Viktor and some o

Christmas in Ukraine Part VI: Nat and Tiffy come to Ukraine

A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of hosting two sisters here in Kiev, Tiffany and Natalie. When they came to Ukraine from America, they brought 280 blankets to give out to children in need! The blankets were awesome! Natalie and Tiffany go to Liberty College, and they had decided to do something for kids in Ukraine. They chose to make blankets. With the help of many prayer groups at Liberty, they came up with 280 beautiful, colorful, warm and fuzzy blankets, and each one had cards inside with Bible verses and notes from the people who made them. What a wonderful idea! We spent three days going around to different places to hand out the blankets, and it was precious! First we went to our orphanage, Komarivka. The majority of the kids had gone home for the holidays, but about 30 kids remained. You should have seen their faces! Such big smiles all around! One of my favorite pictures ever of two giggling girls, Luda and Vita! Some of the older girls, Larissa, Natasha, Janna (the Russ

Anya’s operation “The whole story”

Brace yourselves:  This blog is 3309 words long.  Honestly, I cut a lot of information out and simplified it so much to keep it short.  But the story of Anya’s operation is a monster and I wanted to tell it start to finish so that you have one place to come learn about Anya and what she’s been through these past months, as well as what it has taught us about the lives of orphans here. The core problem:  Our helplessness to help Anya A few weeks ago a friend from the states wrote me a few emails asking about Anya’s situation.  At that point Anya had been in the hospital for almost four weeks … waiting.  Her operation was first scheduled for the day after she was checked in, but it kept getting pushed back again and again.  It was incredibly frustrating, mainly because no one in Kiev had the authority to check her out of the hospital, and so she had to stay there for four weeks..four very boring weeks.  I would have gone crazy. Normally, the parents would have taken a child in that s