Skip to main content

The massive missile attack, December 29, 2022

    (Kyiv, Ukraine)

    When I woke up, I glanced at my phone and saw that the air raid alert had already been on for over an hour.  Just a few moments later, I heard two loud bangs.  I went to the balcony of our 8th floor apartment, and over part of Kyiv, just south of us, I saw the sporadic contrails that I have learned are indicative of a Russian missile that has just been shot down (picture below).  The interception was probably only a mile or two from our apartment.  

    We were planning on traveling back to the Czech Republic in a few hours, so I started to get ready to go.  While eating breakfast, I heard two more loud bangs, and I stepped out to the balcony, searching for signs of what was going on.  I placed my hand on the window frame to look up as high as I could, and at that moment I heard four more explosions in very quick succession.  As they sounded off, I could feel the window frame pulsate from the concussion.  
    I only saw a plume of smoke several miles to the south of our apartment.  But this was the first time I had heard and felt the impact of a Russian missile strike. 

    10-15 miles to the east of me, Vitalik and Lena were driving towards Safe Haven.  Suddenly, an impossibly fast missile streaked right in front of them crashing just past the highway
.  Lena said the missile felt like it was right next to them, but thinks that it was actually about 1 km away. 

    About 10 miles south of our apartment, everyone at Safe Haven had gathered in the living room, the central part of the house, and therefore the safest place to be in most situations.  There they prayed that God would keep them safe, and if not, that they would all go together.  Suddenly, they heard an incredibly loud explosion, and Anya says the walls of the house started to shake to the point that she was afraid the whole house would collapse.  
    In the following silence, everyone scoured their contacts for reports of what had happened.  A missile had struck their suburb of Kyiv for the first time.  It landed less than a kilometer from Safe Haven and destroyed three homes  (pictured above).  Three people were severely injured, but no one was killed.

    This was the closest that any of us had been to missile strikes, including the young men who have lived in Safe Haven throughout the war.  

    The plan was still for Lena and I to drive out to the Ukrainian border after lunch.  The attack seems to have caused a bit of panic in Kyiv, so most of the roads heading west were congested with traffic.  When I checked the best possible routes, one that was offered was to drive north through Kyiv and to then loop through Bucha and Irpin back down to the main highway.  I had been wanting to see these cities because we have friends who live there.  It was shocking to see blocks of housed that were completely destroyed and also see blocks of houses that didn’t look touched.  It was clear how busy the people have been cleaning and rebuilding.  There was a big Home Depot store that I have been in many times that was completely destroyed (below).  Those personal connections really make a difference in how much the destruction affects you.  Far from everything was destroyed, but there is still so much senseless destruction. 

    The next morning, Lena and I were at the border just after 6:00 AM.  After waiting in line for almost three hours, the Polish border officials denied Lena entry, even though she had the proper documentation and Czech officials had told her that she could travel freely to and from Ukraine.  The Polish officials were really rude to her and in the end, we had to turn around, drive 4.5 hours south to the border with Slovakia, wait in line there for another 3 hours before making the 8 hour drive back to the Czech Republic.  All told, Lena and I spent 21 hours in the car together on December 30th.  It was a long emotional day, especially for Lena.  

    On December 29th, Russia launched 16 missiles at Kyiv alone.  All of them were intercepted by Ukrainian defensive forces.  The one that hit near Safe Haven was a deflected missile.  At 1:36 AM, on December 30th, Russian forces launched 16 drones against Ukraine: all were downed.  On December 31st, there was another massive strike across the country, but it hasn’t been released how many missiles were launched or shot down.  There were many civilian casualties.  It is generally understood that the Russians wanted Ukraine to meet the New Year in the cold and dark.  On January 1st, less than an hour after Ukraine welcomed the new year, Russia launch 45 drones, all of which were shot down, though some still caused damage to infrastructure.   
    As of December 31st, the air raid sirens have gone off 638 times in Kyiv alone since the beginning of Russia’s full scale invasion.  

    When the air raid alert went off on December 31st, and stayed on for over four hours, we were already back in the Czech Republic.  Those hours were more stressful for me than being in Ukraine on the 29th.  The calmness of everyone else who was used to this soothed me.  If something happened, you would know immediately and do something.  Sitting in the Czech Republic, I just waited.  My window into what was happening was very small, and that made it a lot harder to endure.   

    In spite of the content threat of attack and the uncertainties around when you will have power, or heat or water, I was amazed at the determination, and the joy of the Ukrainian people.  We arrived in Ukraine on December 24th.  Anya and Lena wanted to spent Christmas with their spouses, and I had more than a car load of aid to take in.  Ukrainian workers continue to do an amazing job of getting as much power as possible to people across the country.  They just don’t give up.  I was able to witness so many reunions and celebrations on Christmas Day and the days after.  There was so much joy and laughter.  It has been true since the beginning of the war that people have really been drawn closer together through this.  I count myself to be truly blessed to have been able to see Ukrainians show the world what they are made of.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The power of a hug

Three weeks ago at church, Masha sat next to me.   Masha is ten, has Downs Syndrome and is a fantastic hugger.  She just loves hugging.  So I try to always stop and hug her back.  During the service, she came in and sat between me and her dad, for a while she loved on her dad and then she leaned her head on my shoulder, so I leaned my head over onto hers, and she looked up at me with this big smile.  She reached around and gave me a shoulder hug, and then patted my head, and then rubbed my back for a few minutes.  I didn’t move the entire time because it just felt so good.  It was just simple, innocent affection, and it sent tingles up my spine.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about you need more hugs and back scratches. Human contact is so important.  That’s why I try and hug the kids when we go up to the orphanage.  These are just a few stories of some of the hugs I’ve given and gotten this past month, and why hugs are so important in our ministry. My friend Viktor and some o

Christmas in Ukraine Part VI: Nat and Tiffy come to Ukraine

A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of hosting two sisters here in Kiev, Tiffany and Natalie. When they came to Ukraine from America, they brought 280 blankets to give out to children in need! The blankets were awesome! Natalie and Tiffany go to Liberty College, and they had decided to do something for kids in Ukraine. They chose to make blankets. With the help of many prayer groups at Liberty, they came up with 280 beautiful, colorful, warm and fuzzy blankets, and each one had cards inside with Bible verses and notes from the people who made them. What a wonderful idea! We spent three days going around to different places to hand out the blankets, and it was precious! First we went to our orphanage, Komarivka. The majority of the kids had gone home for the holidays, but about 30 kids remained. You should have seen their faces! Such big smiles all around! One of my favorite pictures ever of two giggling girls, Luda and Vita! Some of the older girls, Larissa, Natasha, Janna (the Russ

Anya’s operation “The whole story”

Brace yourselves:  This blog is 3309 words long.  Honestly, I cut a lot of information out and simplified it so much to keep it short.  But the story of Anya’s operation is a monster and I wanted to tell it start to finish so that you have one place to come learn about Anya and what she’s been through these past months, as well as what it has taught us about the lives of orphans here. The core problem:  Our helplessness to help Anya A few weeks ago a friend from the states wrote me a few emails asking about Anya’s situation.  At that point Anya had been in the hospital for almost four weeks … waiting.  Her operation was first scheduled for the day after she was checked in, but it kept getting pushed back again and again.  It was incredibly frustrating, mainly because no one in Kiev had the authority to check her out of the hospital, and so she had to stay there for four weeks..four very boring weeks.  I would have gone crazy. Normally, the parents would have taken a child in that s