Skip to main content

The kids we minister to ...

Here are just a few of the kids that touch our hearts.
Nastia 
This little girl has been one of our favorites ever since she came to the orphanage 2 years ago with her sister, Luba. Now Nastia is in 4th grade, and she's just a really good kid.
One of the most exciting things about this year is that the kids are showing some interest in learning English. This has not been the case in the past. A few weeks ago, Nastia and Lolita wanted to hang out with me, and so arm and arm we walked around outside. They wanted me to teach them English, so I spent about an hour repeating phrases like "today is sunny" (it was indeed a gorgeous day; one of the first days of spring)! and "today is beautiful," or "you are beautiful!' If I stopped for a moment, they would immediately say, "teach us something else in English!" I pray that this trend continues, because once the kids finish school and are on their own, it is extremely helpful if they know English. Jobs are scarce, and so if they have that extra skill to offer, their chances improve greatly.
 

Lolita

It's amazing how fast kids grow. Lolita came to the orphanage last year as a first grader, and she was so shy. She wouldn't talk to us, and often wouldn't even look us in the eye. How things have changed! The first time we went to the orphanage after returning to Ukraine, I was so surprised when she came right up to us and starting talking! This sweet little girl is now friendly and interested in spending time with us, especially if that time includes doing crafts, which she loves.




Andrei

Andrei is in 1st grade, and everyone loves him! He is funny, outgoing and a little bit ornery. Its not uncommon for you to be sitting somewhere, doing craft or something, and for him to come over and just plop into your lap. As a missionary, my first reaction is "awww, how cute!" But then I remember that what he really needs is a mother to love and care for him, and that's exactly what he doesn't have at the orphanage. So, I think he gets that loving attention from anyone he can.

Andrei checking out his photo album with Janna.




Andrei already has a bunch of pictures with our team.

 
Valerya

This is the newest face at the orphanage. Valerya arrived just a few weeks ago, and he's in 5th grade. The first time we met was on the day we passed out Christmas presents (yes, it was in March!), and we didn't have a photo album for him. He didn't seem like he cared, and every time I saw him that day he was by himself, just wandering around. We didn't see him smile all day.  I can't imagine how hard it is for new kids to show up at an orphanage. I don't know what kind of situation he came from, or why he's at the orphanage now, but it's usually not good. Then there's the difficult task of making friends, and unfortunately the kids can be mean to each other and unaccepting. Our prayer is that he adjusts quickly and finds some good friends! The day we gave out photo albums, we had pictures for every kid in the orphanage ... except him.  It was easy to explain, we simply told him the truth; that we didn't have any photos of him.  We snapped a few that day that we could print later for him, but again he didn't smile, he didn't even really respond.   However, the next week, Valerya came up to Daniel and asked if we had printed his photos yet.  When he learned that we still wanted a few more photos of him, he jumped at the opportunity, and dragged Daniel around to the exercise yard and we
spent half an hour running around taking pictures, and the one above is by far my favorite! I think we have something common! (I love taking handstand pictures too.)
Valerya the first day we met him.

... and one week later.

We love it when God works out something potentially bad-  like not having anything for Valerya - into something good - like an opportunity to start bonding with Valerya.

Comments

  1. Hello Daniel and Janna. Just read this blog and your last. I totally agree with your resolve to continue on in being there for the church and the kids. I'm inspired by your love for the Ukrainian people and your love and devotion to God, wherever you follow his heart. In looking at lives like yours and Meisha and the other missionaries that took care of me and Olya while we were there with you, I'm just praying to God that I can learn not to be so rooted in this world and that to remember my citizenship is in Heaven. I was inspired by the Ukrainian believers there as well and just to see the joy on their faces as they met in home church. I'm asking God to help me love people all around me as deeply as you love the Ukrainians. I can't wait for you to Skype with Olya sometime and hear how wonderful her English is! We love you two. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The power of a hug

Three weeks ago at church, Masha sat next to me.   Masha is ten, has Downs Syndrome and is a fantastic hugger.  She just loves hugging.  So I try to always stop and hug her back.  During the service, she came in and sat between me and her dad, for a while she loved on her dad and then she leaned her head on my shoulder, so I leaned my head over onto hers, and she looked up at me with this big smile.  She reached around and gave me a shoulder hug, and then patted my head, and then rubbed my back for a few minutes.  I didn’t move the entire time because it just felt so good.  It was just simple, innocent affection, and it sent tingles up my spine.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about you need more hugs and back scratches. Human contact is so important.  That’s why I try and hug the kids when we go up to the orphanage.  These are just a few stories of some of the hugs I’ve given and gotten this past month, and why hugs are so important in our ministry. My friend Viktor and some o

Christmas in Ukraine Part VI: Nat and Tiffy come to Ukraine

A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of hosting two sisters here in Kiev, Tiffany and Natalie. When they came to Ukraine from America, they brought 280 blankets to give out to children in need! The blankets were awesome! Natalie and Tiffany go to Liberty College, and they had decided to do something for kids in Ukraine. They chose to make blankets. With the help of many prayer groups at Liberty, they came up with 280 beautiful, colorful, warm and fuzzy blankets, and each one had cards inside with Bible verses and notes from the people who made them. What a wonderful idea! We spent three days going around to different places to hand out the blankets, and it was precious! First we went to our orphanage, Komarivka. The majority of the kids had gone home for the holidays, but about 30 kids remained. You should have seen their faces! Such big smiles all around! One of my favorite pictures ever of two giggling girls, Luda and Vita! Some of the older girls, Larissa, Natasha, Janna (the Russ

Anya’s operation “The whole story”

Brace yourselves:  This blog is 3309 words long.  Honestly, I cut a lot of information out and simplified it so much to keep it short.  But the story of Anya’s operation is a monster and I wanted to tell it start to finish so that you have one place to come learn about Anya and what she’s been through these past months, as well as what it has taught us about the lives of orphans here. The core problem:  Our helplessness to help Anya A few weeks ago a friend from the states wrote me a few emails asking about Anya’s situation.  At that point Anya had been in the hospital for almost four weeks … waiting.  Her operation was first scheduled for the day after she was checked in, but it kept getting pushed back again and again.  It was incredibly frustrating, mainly because no one in Kiev had the authority to check her out of the hospital, and so she had to stay there for four weeks..four very boring weeks.  I would have gone crazy. Normally, the parents would have taken a child in that s