Skip to main content

Forming relationships with kids in the orphanage

Janna and I both wondered how the kids in the orphanage would act towards us when we returned from 4 months in the US.  Janna was especially worried that we would have to start again with our relationships. 

Most of the groups that I spoke to in the US, I told about Sasha.  I couldn’t wait to get back and see Sasha again.  So the first day that I went up to the orphanage, I was so excited to see that Sasha was one of the kids who came out to meet us as we drove up.  I walked over to her, hugged her and told her that I missed her while I was gone.  She looked up at me, half-smiled and said, “OK.”  I thought to myself, “I guess I’m going to have to work at building this relationship up again.”  In a way that makes sense though, Sasha is now a teenage girl.  Things are never going to be simple with her again.  Since that first day, she has been at a different orphanage getting glasses.  (It sounds like something you would make up, but in the orphanage system getting glasses is a process that takes up to a month.  No idea why.)
Sasha and I last summer
On the whole, most of the kids have been very happy to have us back, and we just pick up where we left off.  A few of the older boys have even wanted to hang out with me a bit, which is surprising and encouraging. 
One boy, Vladic, who happens to be one of my favorites, came around the corner my first day back.  He was calling out to his friend when he saw me.  “Hey!” he cried out, “Its … you!”  And then he ran over in a dead sprint to give me a hug.  It was awesome, and I was so glad to see Vladic, and we’ve hung out every time I have gone up to the orphanage. 
My buddy, Vladic
But this highlighted something that has been happening for the past two years.  No matter how much time we spend with some of the kids, they don’t remember our names.  Some of them, I can push and they actually do remember, they just don’t think about it.  For a while, it got me down.  I couldn’t understand why they couldn’t learn my name, and then it dawned on me.  People come and visit the orphanage all the time.  Visitors come from all over the world to spend a few days with the kids, they connect, then they leave and never come back.  And even though we visit every week, we aren’t a fixture in their lives.  The kids are conditioned to not form lasting relationships with people. 
And honestly, I’m not sure what to do about that.  Other than just keep being in their lives.

Janna and Doug and a gaggle of kids

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The power of a hug

Three weeks ago at church, Masha sat next to me.   Masha is ten, has Downs Syndrome and is a fantastic hugger.  She just loves hugging.  So I try to always stop and hug her back.  During the service, she came in and sat between me and her dad, for a while she loved on her dad and then she leaned her head on my shoulder, so I leaned my head over onto hers, and she looked up at me with this big smile.  She reached around and gave me a shoulder hug, and then patted my head, and then rubbed my back for a few minutes.  I didn’t move the entire time because it just felt so good.  It was just simple, innocent affection, and it sent tingles up my spine.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about you need more hugs and back scratches. Human contact is so important.  That’s why I try and hug the kids when we go up to the orphanage.  These are just a few stories of some of the hugs I’ve given and gotten this past month, and why hugs are so important in our ministry. My friend Viktor and some o

Christmas in Ukraine Part VI: Nat and Tiffy come to Ukraine

A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of hosting two sisters here in Kiev, Tiffany and Natalie. When they came to Ukraine from America, they brought 280 blankets to give out to children in need! The blankets were awesome! Natalie and Tiffany go to Liberty College, and they had decided to do something for kids in Ukraine. They chose to make blankets. With the help of many prayer groups at Liberty, they came up with 280 beautiful, colorful, warm and fuzzy blankets, and each one had cards inside with Bible verses and notes from the people who made them. What a wonderful idea! We spent three days going around to different places to hand out the blankets, and it was precious! First we went to our orphanage, Komarivka. The majority of the kids had gone home for the holidays, but about 30 kids remained. You should have seen their faces! Such big smiles all around! One of my favorite pictures ever of two giggling girls, Luda and Vita! Some of the older girls, Larissa, Natasha, Janna (the Russ

Anya’s operation “The whole story”

Brace yourselves:  This blog is 3309 words long.  Honestly, I cut a lot of information out and simplified it so much to keep it short.  But the story of Anya’s operation is a monster and I wanted to tell it start to finish so that you have one place to come learn about Anya and what she’s been through these past months, as well as what it has taught us about the lives of orphans here. The core problem:  Our helplessness to help Anya A few weeks ago a friend from the states wrote me a few emails asking about Anya’s situation.  At that point Anya had been in the hospital for almost four weeks … waiting.  Her operation was first scheduled for the day after she was checked in, but it kept getting pushed back again and again.  It was incredibly frustrating, mainly because no one in Kiev had the authority to check her out of the hospital, and so she had to stay there for four weeks..four very boring weeks.  I would have gone crazy. Normally, the parents would have taken a child in that s