Skip to main content

What do you give a kid who has nothing?

This past Christmas, we gave out photo albums of all the kids in the orphanage in Komarivka.  It took a lot of time to sort through photos for 100 kids, but we did it, and a bunch of the albums had 25 pictures (that was the max).  A lot of people we told us that this was a really good gift, because most of these kids never get any pictures of themselves. 

christmas present 044.
Sasha, Zhenya and Alina right after they got their photo albums.

But something happened with the pictures that we didn’t expect.

A couple of weeks ago, Janna had the kids help her make a “We miss you” card for Andre.  Andre used to visit the orphanage with us every week, but now he is working with a different ministry north of Kiev.  A few of the kids really miss him.  While we were working on the card, Artyom brought us a picture of himself that we had given him for Christmas, so that we could give it to Andre.  And he asked us if Andre could send him a picture in return. 

komarivka and the I 176
Vita showing me the closet that 9 guys in this room share.  They really don’t have anything.

Later that day, I was being dragged around by Vita, because … well … she loves me, and I am defenseless against her charms. I saw her photo album and thumbed through it.  She still had several of the pictures we gave her, but most of her album was full of pictures of other kids. 

The kids have all been giving away pictures of themselves as presents. 

komarivka 174
Me and Denis. 

They always like to give things.  Without fail, some kid in the orphanage will give me a piece of candy.  Regularly, someone will sneak a part of their lunch out of the cafeteria to give me.  (The super dry bread is my least favorite, but I try to act like I enjoy it). When we do a craft with one of the classes, about half of the crafts end up being given to our team who brought the crafts in the first place. 

We love to give.  We love to find something that is just right for this kid and make him feel special. 

They love to give too.  It makes you feel good to give something that you think will be appreciated by someone else.   The kids want that just like everyone else.  It’s a God-given desire. 

easter and lavre 586
Sasha just graduated.  He kept reminding me that he really wanted this picture of him and his little brother Vadeem before he left the orphanage. 

So when we gave them photo albums we gave them that they can keep and treasure as well as something that they can give to the special people in their lives. 

The kids have been asking when we’ll give them more photos.  We tell them next Christmas.  You’d think from their response that Christmas only happened once every four years.  It make us really happy that we can give them something that they value, and we have every intention of continuing. 

Comments

  1. Oh, dear. This is precious. I try to keep up with you guys, but I fall behind. Then I come back and my heart yearns for Ukraine again! Knowing that you guys are back at Chernigiv makes me miss it! God bless you guys! Miss you! Thank you for the opportunity you gave my mom and me. We will never forget it.
    Love,
    Kristian

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The power of a hug

Three weeks ago at church, Masha sat next to me.   Masha is ten, has Downs Syndrome and is a fantastic hugger.  She just loves hugging.  So I try to always stop and hug her back.  During the service, she came in and sat between me and her dad, for a while she loved on her dad and then she leaned her head on my shoulder, so I leaned my head over onto hers, and she looked up at me with this big smile.  She reached around and gave me a shoulder hug, and then patted my head, and then rubbed my back for a few minutes.  I didn’t move the entire time because it just felt so good.  It was just simple, innocent affection, and it sent tingles up my spine.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about you need more hugs and back scratches. Human contact is so important.  That’s why I try and hug the kids when we go up to the orphanage.  These are just a few stories of some of the hugs I’ve given and gotten this past month, and why hugs are so important in our ministry. My friend Viktor and some o

Christmas in Ukraine Part VI: Nat and Tiffy come to Ukraine

A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of hosting two sisters here in Kiev, Tiffany and Natalie. When they came to Ukraine from America, they brought 280 blankets to give out to children in need! The blankets were awesome! Natalie and Tiffany go to Liberty College, and they had decided to do something for kids in Ukraine. They chose to make blankets. With the help of many prayer groups at Liberty, they came up with 280 beautiful, colorful, warm and fuzzy blankets, and each one had cards inside with Bible verses and notes from the people who made them. What a wonderful idea! We spent three days going around to different places to hand out the blankets, and it was precious! First we went to our orphanage, Komarivka. The majority of the kids had gone home for the holidays, but about 30 kids remained. You should have seen their faces! Such big smiles all around! One of my favorite pictures ever of two giggling girls, Luda and Vita! Some of the older girls, Larissa, Natasha, Janna (the Russ

Anya’s operation “The whole story”

Brace yourselves:  This blog is 3309 words long.  Honestly, I cut a lot of information out and simplified it so much to keep it short.  But the story of Anya’s operation is a monster and I wanted to tell it start to finish so that you have one place to come learn about Anya and what she’s been through these past months, as well as what it has taught us about the lives of orphans here. The core problem:  Our helplessness to help Anya A few weeks ago a friend from the states wrote me a few emails asking about Anya’s situation.  At that point Anya had been in the hospital for almost four weeks … waiting.  Her operation was first scheduled for the day after she was checked in, but it kept getting pushed back again and again.  It was incredibly frustrating, mainly because no one in Kiev had the authority to check her out of the hospital, and so she had to stay there for four weeks..four very boring weeks.  I would have gone crazy. Normally, the parents would have taken a child in that s