Skip to main content

Returning to Ukraine

  Both of the girls were more … squeaky … than normal.  They are both 19, but they sounded a few years younger.  

I was taking Inna and Nastia into Ukraine.  Not just to visit, but to stay.  To live in Safe Haven, their home, and to go to their schools this year, not just just take an occasional course online in between work.  

It had been a year and half since Inna had been in Ukraine.  

As we approached the checkpoint on the Ukrainian side, Nastia took a picture of the sign that said “Ukraine”.  A few minutes later, I felt the car start to shake, and it took me a minute of looking around before I realized that she was just bouncing her leg in anticipation of actually being back in Ukraine.  

After we crossed the border, we pulled in to a gas station, and as we were leaving, Inna said dreamily, “Everyone spoke Ukrainian.”  Nastia added, “And they were SO nice.”  She just sighed contentedly.  

It was very interesting being able to watch their reentry.  I myself had moved to Ukraine 12 years earlier and the way they were acting reminded me of my first trip back to the USA after two years away.   That first week, my wife and I were in awe of how nice people seemed to be when you spoke their language fluently, and how incredibly it was to understand every word people said to us.  We also remember all the things that we couldn’t wait to do in our home country.   Who knows maybe I had been squeaky as well.  


On the road to Ukraine, Nastia had told me about an encounter that she had just a few days before.  She was waiting at a cross walk when an older lady hollered out to her, “Hey refugee!  Go home.  No one wants you here.”  

My heart sank to hear that story.  But I knew that it happened, we all just hoped that the kids were a little more exempt.  

I asked her if she ran into that kind of thing often.  She said yes. 


I couldn’t help but compare the anticipation and joy that both of these girls had at being able to come back to Ukraine with the sentiment that this lady yelled at Nastia.  “Go home, we don’t want you here.” 

I wanted to find that lady and yell back, “She wants to, they are just bombing her city and her country and we’d like her to lived past her 20s!”


When our group fled Ukraine at the beginning of the war they did so telling themself that they were leaving for just a few days.  From the beginning the young people have been asking, “When do we get to go home?”  They would not have fled if they didn’t feel like it was necessary.  Many of them wouldn’t have fled if the decision hadn’t been made for them.  

Unfortunately, there are lots of people who don’t take the time to try and understand the perspective of refugees.  

*******


The first night that the girls spent in their home in Kyiv, Russia launched 44 missiles and drones at Kyiv.  The whole house was woken in the middle of the night by the sounds of explosions overhead.  All but one of those projectiles were shot down, but 4 people were killed by falling debris. 

Returning to Ukraine carries its risks.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in Ukraine Part VI: Nat and Tiffy come to Ukraine

A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of hosting two sisters here in Kiev, Tiffany and Natalie. When they came to Ukraine from America, they brought 280 blankets to give out to children in need! The blankets were awesome! Natalie and Tiffany go to Liberty College, and they had decided to do something for kids in Ukraine. They chose to make blankets. With the help of many prayer groups at Liberty, they came up with 280 beautiful, colorful, warm and fuzzy blankets, and each one had cards inside with Bible verses and notes from the people who made them. What a wonderful idea! We spent three days going around to different places to hand out the blankets, and it was precious! First we went to our orphanage, Komarivka. The majority of the kids had gone home for the holidays, but about 30 kids remained. You should have seen their faces! Such big smiles all around! One of my favorite pictures ever of two giggling girls, Luda and Vita! Some of the older girls, Larissa, Natasha, Janna (the Russ

The power of a hug

Three weeks ago at church, Masha sat next to me.   Masha is ten, has Downs Syndrome and is a fantastic hugger.  She just loves hugging.  So I try to always stop and hug her back.  During the service, she came in and sat between me and her dad, for a while she loved on her dad and then she leaned her head on my shoulder, so I leaned my head over onto hers, and she looked up at me with this big smile.  She reached around and gave me a shoulder hug, and then patted my head, and then rubbed my back for a few minutes.  I didn’t move the entire time because it just felt so good.  It was just simple, innocent affection, and it sent tingles up my spine.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about you need more hugs and back scratches. Human contact is so important.  That’s why I try and hug the kids when we go up to the orphanage.  These are just a few stories of some of the hugs I’ve given and gotten this past month, and why hugs are so important in our ministry. My friend Viktor and some o

Anya’s operation “The whole story”

Brace yourselves:  This blog is 3309 words long.  Honestly, I cut a lot of information out and simplified it so much to keep it short.  But the story of Anya’s operation is a monster and I wanted to tell it start to finish so that you have one place to come learn about Anya and what she’s been through these past months, as well as what it has taught us about the lives of orphans here. The core problem:  Our helplessness to help Anya A few weeks ago a friend from the states wrote me a few emails asking about Anya’s situation.  At that point Anya had been in the hospital for almost four weeks … waiting.  Her operation was first scheduled for the day after she was checked in, but it kept getting pushed back again and again.  It was incredibly frustrating, mainly because no one in Kiev had the authority to check her out of the hospital, and so she had to stay there for four weeks..four very boring weeks.  I would have gone crazy. Normally, the parents would have taken a child in that s