Skip to main content

Little moments

On Saturday August 11th, we went up to one of the camps where kids from Komarivka are staying this summer.  It was almost the end of the summer, and it was only the second time I had been able to go up.  And this was the only camp I had been to visit, even though our kids were spread out amongst 4 or more camps. 
The past year has been crazy.  We spent so much time learning Russian, which for most missionaries is their primary focus their first year.  But we had a few other issues that were very pressing.  We wanted to be involved at Safe Haven which was located on the other side of Kiev.  We visited the orphanage almost once a week.  But working on Smile House was definitely the biggest focus of our year. We needed to finish the third floor, fast. Then we needed to finish the Second floor a few months later.  I’m actually working on an article about all the hats we wear, because being involved in so many different facets is one of the most difficult parts of our work here. 
In December, Janna and I were wearing a little thin, and we sat down and discussed what things needed to be cut out of our lives to keep us from over-extending ourselves.  We decided that for the time being, if everything else was pressing in on us, we would simply pass on visiting the orphanage.  Our main focuses had to be Smile House and language.  In the long run, those would help the kids more than a couple of hours of playing tag, soccer or coloring a few sheets. 
It was the right choice.  But the times when we didn’t go to Komarivka, or the camps, we missed the little moments of being able to just hang out with the kids. 
Its the moments that make driving 3 hours to see them totally worth it.  And last Saturday was all about the moments for me.
Coloring
birthday camp 082Me and my bud, Misha 
We started coloring with the kids, which was great.  It’s always more peaceful throughout the day when you start with a peaceful activity. I was coloring with Misha and Ali, eight and nine year old boys, respectively.  It was great to just sit with them and color, and occasionally have them show me their progress, wanting to know if I approved.  After about 15 minutes, some of the counselors started trying to round up a lot of the kids for dancing, Misha and Ali included.  They didn’t want to go, and so they just kept coloring and the counselors kept coming over to tell them to come.  Finally, I spoke up and said that I would hold on to their coloring sheets so they could go to dancing class.  
“Really?!” Ali asked.  Then he handed my sheet and happily ran off to dancing class.  Misha did the same. 
birthday camp 080
Ali, coloring his masterpiece.
I sat there dumbfounded for a minute trying to figure out how simply offering to watch a coloring sheet made two boys happy to go to dancing class.  I couldn’t see the correlation. 
But as I looked at their work, it struck me that they were trying to do a good job of coloring, they were taking pride in their work. These are kids who have no personal possessions, so naturally they wouldn’t want to leave a picture that they were trying to do their best on. Life has taught them that as soon as it is out of their sight, its not theirs any more.
But for one moment, I offered them a different world. I told them I would take care of their things.  I told them their treasures would be safe with me, even if I didn’t use those words.   How cool is that? 
Sasha
After the boys left, I colored some more but then left all of our pictures in the the safe keeping of Janna and strolled over to watch the dancing.  Sasha was there.  Sasha is my girl, but she’s also an 11 year old girl so she can be a bit of a pill.  She is also a girl who has been abandoned, craves attention, can’t handle stressful situations, and lashes out regularly.  Lexi and Janna agree that Sasha is one of the most difficult children to deal with.  But I still try. 
As I watched the dance practice, Sasha regularly waved for me to watch her.  But most of the time she didn’t dance; she watched the other kids and criticized them for doing it all wrong, she hit the boy in front of her on the back of the head, kicked the boy beside her in the shin, and spit on kids two rows in front of her.  Her antics finally earned her a strong slap in the mouth from one of the teachers, whereupon she went off by herself and pouted until she realized no one was going to come after her.  As they kept dancing, I wondered how much intensive work it would take to break Sasha of all of her bad tendencies.  I wondered if WE (our team) could ever make a difference in her life. 
Later, after dance, we played a game with the kids … and Sasha got into a fight again; surprise, surprise.  I grabbed her and pulled her off of a boy who she was hitting and kicking.  She struggled against me, then balled up and pouted, then she stood up and we walked back to the circle.  She even let me give her a little hug as we walked.  I thought, “Cool she is doing so much better than I remember, this camp must really be having a good impact on her.”  Later, we went through the whole cycle again, but she recovered even faster.  The whole day no matter how many times I said “Don’t do that,” she stayed my friend.  It was amazing. 
birthday camp 123
That afternoon as we were driving home.  Lexi told me that she never responds to anyone as well as she responds to me.  It was encouraging to hear.  I guess she’s realizing that she is special to me, and it matters to her.
Sitting with Yanna
birthday camp 097 Janna and Yanna coloring together
While I was sitting and watching the dancing, a little girl named Yanna came walking past.  Yanna is CUTE!  She looked shyly at me and I patted the spot next to me and told her to come sit with me.  She did and I gave her a little hug.  I know Janna LOVES it when I play with her hair so I started gently playing with Yanna’s hair.  She gave me this look that was at the same time completely embarrassed and completely excited.  I gave her a big smile, leaned back on the bench and kept playing with her hair.  She just sat with me.  After about 10 minutes she left. 
Talking to Sasha with Lexi
I was just walking around and I found Lexi talking to Sasha, so we all started talking together.  Sasha was so cool.  I think he was about 12, but he was calm, which I didn’t know was possible.  He was just a good kid.  We found out that a lot of his brothers and sisters had been adopted.  Lexi asked if he would like to be adopted, trying to carefully word the question so that he wouldn’t think that she was offering to adopt him.  His eyes lit up, Lexi’s heart sank.  He did think that maybe she was offering. 
birthday camp 087
Lexi with her new friend, Sasha
Lexi got Sasha’s address, and wants to keep in touch with him after she returns to the states.  It’s so easy to fall in love with these kids. 
*******
Every time we go up to visit the kids, no matter where they are, its so uplifting and at the same time so depressing.  There are certain places where it is so clearly visible what this world is: its beauty and chaos, hope and disappointment, love and abandonment, all living so closely together.  The kingdom of light and the kingdom of darkness living side by side.  This past year we were able to focus on building a home for some of these kids where the kingdom of God will rule and we can invite them to live in that place.  I’m glad that were able to serve in such a great way.  But I’m very grateful that this next year we’ll have more time to get to know the kids and be a bigger part of their lives.  I can’t wait to visit all the camps next summer and stay for a couple of days.  I’m looking forward to more moments.
birthday camp 064
Oh yeah … and this kid gave me a kiss. That was a little weird.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The power of a hug

Three weeks ago at church, Masha sat next to me.   Masha is ten, has Downs Syndrome and is a fantastic hugger.  She just loves hugging.  So I try to always stop and hug her back.  During the service, she came in and sat between me and her dad, for a while she loved on her dad and then she leaned her head on my shoulder, so I leaned my head over onto hers, and she looked up at me with this big smile.  She reached around and gave me a shoulder hug, and then patted my head, and then rubbed my back for a few minutes.  I didn’t move the entire time because it just felt so good.  It was just simple, innocent affection, and it sent tingles up my spine.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about you need more hugs and back scratches. Human contact is so important.  That’s why I try and hug the kids when we go up to the orphanage.  These are just a few stories of some of the hugs I’ve given and gotten this past month, and why hugs are so important in our ministry. My friend Viktor and some o

Christmas in Ukraine Part VI: Nat and Tiffy come to Ukraine

A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of hosting two sisters here in Kiev, Tiffany and Natalie. When they came to Ukraine from America, they brought 280 blankets to give out to children in need! The blankets were awesome! Natalie and Tiffany go to Liberty College, and they had decided to do something for kids in Ukraine. They chose to make blankets. With the help of many prayer groups at Liberty, they came up with 280 beautiful, colorful, warm and fuzzy blankets, and each one had cards inside with Bible verses and notes from the people who made them. What a wonderful idea! We spent three days going around to different places to hand out the blankets, and it was precious! First we went to our orphanage, Komarivka. The majority of the kids had gone home for the holidays, but about 30 kids remained. You should have seen their faces! Such big smiles all around! One of my favorite pictures ever of two giggling girls, Luda and Vita! Some of the older girls, Larissa, Natasha, Janna (the Russ

Anya’s operation “The whole story”

Brace yourselves:  This blog is 3309 words long.  Honestly, I cut a lot of information out and simplified it so much to keep it short.  But the story of Anya’s operation is a monster and I wanted to tell it start to finish so that you have one place to come learn about Anya and what she’s been through these past months, as well as what it has taught us about the lives of orphans here. The core problem:  Our helplessness to help Anya A few weeks ago a friend from the states wrote me a few emails asking about Anya’s situation.  At that point Anya had been in the hospital for almost four weeks … waiting.  Her operation was first scheduled for the day after she was checked in, but it kept getting pushed back again and again.  It was incredibly frustrating, mainly because no one in Kiev had the authority to check her out of the hospital, and so she had to stay there for four weeks..four very boring weeks.  I would have gone crazy. Normally, the parents would have taken a child in that s