Skip to main content

A glimpse of Maidan: a photo blog

I've been down to Maidan to see the anti-government activists and how they are living a few times.  I'm not a protester myself, though I sympathize with their frustrations.  Things are calm at the moment, but with the barricades, it looks similar to a military zone with tents, fires everywhere and some very serious barricades in every direction.  You can click on any picture below to see a larger version.



As we were coming back onto Maidan from Hrushevskoho Street, I saw activists stopping a man who was clearly drunk from entering Maidan.  They have a strict no alcohol policy which was interesting for me to see first hand. 




One of the things that is most striking as you walk around is the fact that the activists want the world to see what they are doing and how they are doing it.  Protestors had taken over a few of the government buildings near the center and we walked closer to see them, and saw that crowds were going inside.  We followed and saw the food and clothing distribution centers, as well as the library they had set up for long term protestors.  It was all very open for anyone, skeptics and sympathizers alike, to come in and see and hear what the protests were about.  To get into the pro-government camp is a much more difficult task. 





Some of our Christian friends go to Maidan to give out hot tea some food and medicine to help people in the cold Ukrainian winter.  They have tried to extend the same kindness to the police forces, but were turned away. 



The first time I went to see the stand-off between protestors and police (seen above), a man was interviewing people standing on the barricade.  "What is love?"  he asked them. When he asked me, I just looked around and said, "That's a very important question.  Especially here.  Especially now."

Please keep praying for Ukraine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Ukrainians act during missile strikes

     I have been in Ukraine during many air raid alerts and have been close enough to hear and feel a number of explosions (primarily Russian missile being shot out of the sky), but, strangely, I haven’t actually been around Ukrainians throughout the duration of an air raid until this past week.   I had gone to a small warehouse store where I buy nails for my framing gun.  In the middle of placing my order, everyone’s phones started dinging.  Kyiv was under an air raid alert.  The young man who was helping me just kept working on his computer, but his colleague immediately stood up, looking at her phone and started wondering out loud if we should go to a shelter or if we should stay put.  Within a few seconds another worker came in from outside, and a lady came down the stairs.  They were all on their phones.   “Ballistic missiles.”   said the man “… heading towards the Kyiv area.”  Said the woman who had just come d...

The Costs of Dehumanization

  Our friends, Marina and Ira, have family in Russia.   Not long after the start of Russia’s full-scale invasion, they spoke with those family members.   Those in Russia expressed their disgust that people in Ukraine were eating children.   Marina and Ira’s reaction was naturally surprise and horror.   In the early days of the war, back in 2014, state-controlled Russian news agencies had started to run a story about a young boy that had been crucified in Ukraine’s eastern territories.  The narrative was that this was what Ukrainians were doing to Russian speakers.  It didn’t take long for the story to be debunked.  But this was primarily outside of Russia, most people within Russia kept hearing this story, and stories like it. Over the years, the stories grew to the point where Russian citizens were hearing that Ukrainians were regularly eating babies.   This is why Marina and Ira were having this conversation.  They told their r...

The power of a hug

Three weeks ago at church, Masha sat next to me.   Masha is ten, has Downs Syndrome and is a fantastic hugger.  She just loves hugging.  So I try to always stop and hug her back.  During the service, she came in and sat between me and her dad, for a while she loved on her dad and then she leaned her head on my shoulder, so I leaned my head over onto hers, and she looked up at me with this big smile.  She reached around and gave me a shoulder hug, and then patted my head, and then rubbed my back for a few minutes.  I didn’t move the entire time because it just felt so good.  It was just simple, innocent affection, and it sent tingles up my spine.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about you need more hugs and back scratches. Human contact is so important.  That’s why I try and hug the kids when we go up to the orphanage.  These are just a few stories of some of the hugs I’ve given and gotten this past month, and why hugs are so imp...