Skip to main content

Visitors

Uncles are great. Everyone should have one. Seriously. One of mine is named Uncle Jim. He was our very first visitor in Ukraine. Daniel's Dad came over with us when we moved here, but since we came here together I don't think that fits the technical definition of visiting. But, back to the story, Uncle Jim went on a mission trip to Russia and decided to stop by Ukraine on his way back. It was so exciting having family here!     To honor his arrival, I decided to slice my knee open in the morning right before we were leaving to go take our teammate Lexi to the airport (she just happened to be going to Prague that day), as well as pick up Uncle Jim. Daniel and I were moving the van seats back into the van, and I stumbled, dropping my half of the seat on my knee. Oops. Note to kids: do not try this at home.
And now, a quick glimpse into Janiel dynamics.
Daniel "I'm going to get some bandages and stuff, you need to hold the cut together."
"No, I can't!" wailed Janna (what if there's blood? Ewww).
Daniel "You have to!!! That was not a question!"
Janna "Ok," (still not looking at it...what if it's gross?) but can you get my purse?"

Daniel wrapped up the knee, loaded Janna into the van, and took off. We arrived at Boris, a private hospital in  Kiev located an hour away from Smile House, and then checked into the emergency room.  Here's where miracles happen, or where Ukrainian ERs outshine American ones. We arrived, checked in, got stitches (Janna), talked with the doctor, did paperwork, paid, and checked out in 50 minutes FLAT. Amazing, huh?
Only 3 stitches for what looked like a small canyon! Oh well, it was my first wound. I'll take it.

We had Lexi meet us at Boris, and the short time it took to get stitches meant that we arrived at the airport EARLY.

Round  Two: the Saga Continues.

I was waiting in the arrival area for Uncle Jim, talking to Lexi and feeling ridiculous in Daniel-sized shoes, the ones I happened to be wearing when my little mishap happened. Daniel was off buying some water, and when he came back, it was not two minutes later when Lexi said "I'm going to faint. I can't see anything." I said, "Daniel! Grab her!" He did, and then led her to sit down. She was as white as a sheet, and later said that she didn't remember walking with Daniel and couldn't see anything.

Poor Daniel had to run around all morning, taking care of us crazy girlies! Note to self: keep him.

Uncle Jim finally arrived, and it was such a happy reunion! I can't remember the last time I'd seen him, at least 7 or 8 years, I think.
I led him over to where Lexi and Daniel were sitting (Lexi was feeling much better by this point), and all of a sudden Uncle Jim's arm fell off! "Quick! Daniel! Grab his arm!" I exclaimed! I didn't want anything to happen to it before the doctors could sew it on. We went to the airport emergency room, and they fixed Uncle Jim right up. And thus ended the adventure we call Monday July 18th.
Silly shoes

Two days after Uncle Jim arrived, our friend Rob showed up. His flight ended up coming at around 2:00 in the morning, and while we were waiting we took some pictures. Yeah, we were kinda tired. You know how I know this? As soon as Rob showed up, we left. We didn't even take pictures, which was the whole point of bringing the camera.
I made a sign so Rob could find us, and brought him a welcome gift. Wicked squid chips.

It was such a pleasure having visitors. Granted I couldn't work with them (stupid knee; who does that?), but they accomplished a lot and were a huge encouragement to us. Pretty soon it was time to say goodbye to Uncle Jim (Rob was staying 2 more weeks). I think Uncle Jim had a pretty well-rounded trip: he worked on Smile House, got to visit the kids at their camp, toured Kiev, visited Safe Haven, went to prison, and told Janna lots of stories about her mom when she was a little girl. Apparently when they were little, Uncle Jim chased my mom around the house with a pair of scissors. He got into big trouble for that.

However, moving on, we said our fair wells to Uncle Jim! Thanks for your work and interest in our ministry here! We love you! Please come back!
Rob found a new little friend. This little friend is very endearing.
The boys looking stern and stoic, just like good communists ought to look.

Uncle Jim left on the 24th of July, but it was much harder getting rid of Rob. Granted, Janna kept making him homemade pie. That didn't help. Luckily, Rob is a man of many talents, and got a serious amount of work done. He tinted windows to his heart's content, taught a computer class for some boys at Safe Haven, helped with English Club, tested some printers that were donated, and did many other odd jobs around Smile House. We wanted to keep him, but he decided to leave on the 6th of July. Bye Rob! Sank you for your help! Don't fall into a vat of Tang.
A lot of Ukrainians thought that Daniel and Rob were brothers. 

It's a lot of fun having visitors. Who's next? (please say yes, Brad)! We promise to take care of you and give you the best taste of Ukraine as possible. Traveling to a foreign country puts a whole new perspective on things, and God can use that time to grow you and show you all kinds of opportunities. You'll be better for it. Please come. Squid chips are waiting for you.

Comments

  1. His arm fell off?!?!
    Golly, what an adventurous visit! I definitely look forward to coming back now, especially since you mentioned squid chips...keeping y'all in prayers!
    Through Christ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The power of a hug

Three weeks ago at church, Masha sat next to me.   Masha is ten, has Downs Syndrome and is a fantastic hugger.  She just loves hugging.  So I try to always stop and hug her back.  During the service, she came in and sat between me and her dad, for a while she loved on her dad and then she leaned her head on my shoulder, so I leaned my head over onto hers, and she looked up at me with this big smile.  She reached around and gave me a shoulder hug, and then patted my head, and then rubbed my back for a few minutes.  I didn’t move the entire time because it just felt so good.  It was just simple, innocent affection, and it sent tingles up my spine.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about you need more hugs and back scratches. Human contact is so important.  That’s why I try and hug the kids when we go up to the orphanage.  These are just a few stories of some of the hugs I’ve given and gotten this past month, and why hugs are so important in our ministry. My friend Viktor and some o

Christmas in Ukraine Part VI: Nat and Tiffy come to Ukraine

A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of hosting two sisters here in Kiev, Tiffany and Natalie. When they came to Ukraine from America, they brought 280 blankets to give out to children in need! The blankets were awesome! Natalie and Tiffany go to Liberty College, and they had decided to do something for kids in Ukraine. They chose to make blankets. With the help of many prayer groups at Liberty, they came up with 280 beautiful, colorful, warm and fuzzy blankets, and each one had cards inside with Bible verses and notes from the people who made them. What a wonderful idea! We spent three days going around to different places to hand out the blankets, and it was precious! First we went to our orphanage, Komarivka. The majority of the kids had gone home for the holidays, but about 30 kids remained. You should have seen their faces! Such big smiles all around! One of my favorite pictures ever of two giggling girls, Luda and Vita! Some of the older girls, Larissa, Natasha, Janna (the Russ

Anya’s operation “The whole story”

Brace yourselves:  This blog is 3309 words long.  Honestly, I cut a lot of information out and simplified it so much to keep it short.  But the story of Anya’s operation is a monster and I wanted to tell it start to finish so that you have one place to come learn about Anya and what she’s been through these past months, as well as what it has taught us about the lives of orphans here. The core problem:  Our helplessness to help Anya A few weeks ago a friend from the states wrote me a few emails asking about Anya’s situation.  At that point Anya had been in the hospital for almost four weeks … waiting.  Her operation was first scheduled for the day after she was checked in, but it kept getting pushed back again and again.  It was incredibly frustrating, mainly because no one in Kiev had the authority to check her out of the hospital, and so she had to stay there for four weeks..four very boring weeks.  I would have gone crazy. Normally, the parents would have taken a child in that s