Skip to main content

Practicing my poker face

The standard expectation when you get pulled over in Ukraine is that the police want a bribe.  Its unfortunate, but its been this way for a long time.  In a lot of ways, its easiest to compare it to a poker game. 
I (Daniel) got pulled over for speeding last week.  I was doing 88 in a 80 maximum zone (kilometers per hour, so not as bad as it sounds).  In truth it was a 60 kph zone, but the rule is that you are allowed to go 20 kph over the posted speed limit (no such thing as an absolute rule here).  In addition, I’ve  never seen the 60 kph sign anywhere on that highway (I’m still going to look one last time to be sure).  I thought the speed limit was 90, but apparently I was wrong.
It wasn’t the first time I have been pulled over.  The first time I was pacing Doug as he flew up to Komrivka, but thankfully Doug talk to the officer for me.  And the second time was just a random document check, rather uneventful.
But this time I was speeding and Doug wasn’t around to argue with the police for us, which is always fun to watch. 
The officer walked up to the car, said something (there is a possibility that all of my quotes in this story are wrong) and asked for my documents.  He told me that I had been going 88 (so glad I know my numbers) and I agreed with him, that’s how fast I had been going.   Me agreeing threw him off just a little bit.  I was changing the game off from the get-go. 
Then he asked me to step out of the car.  We went to his partner who had a video of the van and my speed was clocked at 88.  Again, I agreed, “Yep, that’s me.” 
So, the first officer asked me to sit in his car with him.  And he started speaking … quickly.  This is all supposed to be a game, when he made me sit in his car, he wanted me to understand that this was a serious issue, I was supposed to really be getting scared now.  But I had been going 8 kph over, not plotting to overthrow the government. 
I caught some words like: write, ticket, bank, 300 griven, bad.   So I think he was saying something along these lines.   “I could write you a ticket, but it will be bad for you, you will have to go to the bank and pay three hundred griven.”  I’m pretty sure this is right, or at least close, because its what police officers have told other people. 
After saying all this, he looked at me and waited.
It was my cue to say something like, “Could I just give you some money and have you take care of it for me?”  But that wasn’t going to happen.  I’ve heard stories that are much more intense with threats of prison, the impounding of a vehicle, exportation, and just general intimidation.  This guy didn’t do any of that.  In fact he actually seemed like a pretty nice guy.
And getting a ticket didn’t really scare me.   
I replied, “OK.  You can write me a ticket.”  Seriously, 300 griven is less than $40 dollars which would be the cheapest speeding ticket I’ve ever paid. 
The police officer stared at me for a second. 
And then laughed.  It was that kind of laugh that he was trying to keep inside, but the situation was so absurd to him that it just burst out. 
He grabbed the ticket book and his pen and watched me.  I’m pretty sure that he was waiting for my poker face to crack.  “You want me to write you a ticket?”  He asked slowly and started moving his pen towards the paper.  He even pulled the pen back in a couple of feints, so that now I was the one have a hard time not laughing.  Thankfully, I was preoccupied with trying to listen and think of what to say in Russian. 
“I … was … fast.  Ticket will be fine”  I said, thinking that I can’t wait till I learn a few specific verbs and adjectives.
Silence.  Lexi, who was with us at the time, is sure that he was just in awe at what a cool customer I was.  The officer moved the pen towards the ticket book one last time and I thought for just a second that he was actually going to do it.  Then he tossed the book on the dashboard, handed me my documents and waved me out of the car. 
I’ve never tried to talk a police officer into writing me a ticket.  Typically, I’ve just taken a posture of, “You’re right I was speeding, and I’m sorry.”  Hoping for a little mercy.  Once I was pulled over 10 hours into a 14 hour drive home. I was going 5 over in an obvious speed trap and lost.  I spent 45 minutes trying to talk that officer into giving me a warning, but he was determined to write me a ticket.  But asking for a ticket is a definite first. 
Doug gets pulled over about once a week.  But he’s never gotten a ticket.  In fact as I sat in that car, I thought that it might actually be cool if I did get a ticket because then I could show it off to everyone I know, “This is what a speeding ticket looks like.”  Furthermore, refusing to pay bribes is the only real way that we can protest the corruption. 
And so I will continue to surprise the police who expect me to be scared.  
Don’t worry, I’ll also keep it under 80 on that highway. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The power of a hug

Three weeks ago at church, Masha sat next to me.   Masha is ten, has Downs Syndrome and is a fantastic hugger.  She just loves hugging.  So I try to always stop and hug her back.  During the service, she came in and sat between me and her dad, for a while she loved on her dad and then she leaned her head on my shoulder, so I leaned my head over onto hers, and she looked up at me with this big smile.  She reached around and gave me a shoulder hug, and then patted my head, and then rubbed my back for a few minutes.  I didn’t move the entire time because it just felt so good.  It was just simple, innocent affection, and it sent tingles up my spine.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about you need more hugs and back scratches. Human contact is so important.  That’s why I try and hug the kids when we go up to the orphanage.  These are just a few stories of some of the hugs I’ve given and gotten this past month, and why hugs are so important in our ministry. My friend Viktor and some o

Christmas in Ukraine Part VI: Nat and Tiffy come to Ukraine

A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of hosting two sisters here in Kiev, Tiffany and Natalie. When they came to Ukraine from America, they brought 280 blankets to give out to children in need! The blankets were awesome! Natalie and Tiffany go to Liberty College, and they had decided to do something for kids in Ukraine. They chose to make blankets. With the help of many prayer groups at Liberty, they came up with 280 beautiful, colorful, warm and fuzzy blankets, and each one had cards inside with Bible verses and notes from the people who made them. What a wonderful idea! We spent three days going around to different places to hand out the blankets, and it was precious! First we went to our orphanage, Komarivka. The majority of the kids had gone home for the holidays, but about 30 kids remained. You should have seen their faces! Such big smiles all around! One of my favorite pictures ever of two giggling girls, Luda and Vita! Some of the older girls, Larissa, Natasha, Janna (the Russ

Anya’s operation “The whole story”

Brace yourselves:  This blog is 3309 words long.  Honestly, I cut a lot of information out and simplified it so much to keep it short.  But the story of Anya’s operation is a monster and I wanted to tell it start to finish so that you have one place to come learn about Anya and what she’s been through these past months, as well as what it has taught us about the lives of orphans here. The core problem:  Our helplessness to help Anya A few weeks ago a friend from the states wrote me a few emails asking about Anya’s situation.  At that point Anya had been in the hospital for almost four weeks … waiting.  Her operation was first scheduled for the day after she was checked in, but it kept getting pushed back again and again.  It was incredibly frustrating, mainly because no one in Kiev had the authority to check her out of the hospital, and so she had to stay there for four weeks..four very boring weeks.  I would have gone crazy. Normally, the parents would have taken a child in that s