Skip to main content

The Holiday Season Part IV: Christmas Party at the Orphanage

We were originally going to have our Christmas party at the orphanage before Christmas, but it didn't work out for several reasons. We postponed the date to December 27th, and it worked out perfectly! Our whole team went, except for Lexi who was in the States.
Not many kids were around when we showed up, but there's always some who run up to the van and greet us. One of those kids on this particular day was Zhenya, and he loves me! And I love him!
Best Buds!

We headed to the cafeteria where we would be setting up the party, and kids helped us carry the food, drinks, and bags of decorations. Normally there are just over a hundred kids at the orphanage, but because it was a holiday, many of the kids went home. The director told us that there were 60 kids there, and when it was all said and done, I think there were about 37. It was a great number, and it was definitely not as crazy.

Here's where Janna learned a little lesson. We had a "winter wonderland" theme, with lots of garlands that were different shades of blue, silver, and white, as well as tableclothes and tinsel streamers. I had this vision of what I though it should look like, and I wanted to surprise the kids! However, as always at the orphanage, the kids were everywhere and we couldn't get them to leave and I got a little stressed because they were getting into everything. At second glance, though, I realized that they just wanted to help and it was more important for them to help than to have a beautifully decorated room. When the kids don't have school, they have nothing to keep them busy. For days on end, they just wander around and nobody cares what they do, and most of them were bored out of thier minds when we showed up. I forget that sometimes, but I remembered as we were decorating. So instead of doing it myself, I passed out the decorations, and asked them "where?" They would point, and I'd give them some tape, and they were off. Sure, the end result wasn't spectacular, and I saw several kids stuffing the decorations in their jackets, but I think it was worth it! Every kid needs to feel needed and valued.
The kids helped us decorate; everything they did was about waist-high!

Once all the kids had gathered, Daniel and I snuck away and made up plates of food and drinks for the kids while the rest of the team did some ice breaker games and led some songs. Then we served them food consisting of mandarin oranges, chips, and cookies. Ukrainians LOVE chips, especially orphans at Komarivka who NEVER get them!!!! It's a good thing I waitressed at the Ole Miner Steakhouse, otherwise it would have been a disaster! Honestly though, it was awesome serving the kids, refilling drinks and chips, and just having a good time.
The kids enjoyed some Christmas treats!
More refills please! Some of those kids ended up with stomach aches, I'm sure of it!
Me and my little girl!

After everyone ate, Doug shared some "Good News," though a translator, giving the kids a reason to have joy and hope!
We left the kids with that message, cleaned up, and headed to the village public school. Our plan was to do a Christmas party there as well, but Doug couldn't get a hold of the director and so we didn't know if it would work out. Turns out there was already a Christmas party going on! So that was that and we headed back to Kiev tired but with full hearts and spirits!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The power of a hug

Three weeks ago at church, Masha sat next to me.   Masha is ten, has Downs Syndrome and is a fantastic hugger.  She just loves hugging.  So I try to always stop and hug her back.  During the service, she came in and sat between me and her dad, for a while she loved on her dad and then she leaned her head on my shoulder, so I leaned my head over onto hers, and she looked up at me with this big smile.  She reached around and gave me a shoulder hug, and then patted my head, and then rubbed my back for a few minutes.  I didn’t move the entire time because it just felt so good.  It was just simple, innocent affection, and it sent tingles up my spine.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about you need more hugs and back scratches. Human contact is so important.  That’s why I try and hug the kids when we go up to the orphanage.  These are just a few stories of some of the hugs I’ve given and gotten this past month, and why hugs are so important in our ministry. My friend Viktor and some o

Christmas in Ukraine Part VI: Nat and Tiffy come to Ukraine

A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of hosting two sisters here in Kiev, Tiffany and Natalie. When they came to Ukraine from America, they brought 280 blankets to give out to children in need! The blankets were awesome! Natalie and Tiffany go to Liberty College, and they had decided to do something for kids in Ukraine. They chose to make blankets. With the help of many prayer groups at Liberty, they came up with 280 beautiful, colorful, warm and fuzzy blankets, and each one had cards inside with Bible verses and notes from the people who made them. What a wonderful idea! We spent three days going around to different places to hand out the blankets, and it was precious! First we went to our orphanage, Komarivka. The majority of the kids had gone home for the holidays, but about 30 kids remained. You should have seen their faces! Such big smiles all around! One of my favorite pictures ever of two giggling girls, Luda and Vita! Some of the older girls, Larissa, Natasha, Janna (the Russ

Anya’s operation “The whole story”

Brace yourselves:  This blog is 3309 words long.  Honestly, I cut a lot of information out and simplified it so much to keep it short.  But the story of Anya’s operation is a monster and I wanted to tell it start to finish so that you have one place to come learn about Anya and what she’s been through these past months, as well as what it has taught us about the lives of orphans here. The core problem:  Our helplessness to help Anya A few weeks ago a friend from the states wrote me a few emails asking about Anya’s situation.  At that point Anya had been in the hospital for almost four weeks … waiting.  Her operation was first scheduled for the day after she was checked in, but it kept getting pushed back again and again.  It was incredibly frustrating, mainly because no one in Kiev had the authority to check her out of the hospital, and so she had to stay there for four weeks..four very boring weeks.  I would have gone crazy. Normally, the parents would have taken a child in that s